New Jersey City University is authorized by the US State Department to host visiting scholars, including professors and researchers.
NJCU departments wishing to sponsor a visitor should do the following:
1. Communicate with the the Office of International Students and Study
Abroad regarding the details of the proposed visit.
2. Have the visitor submit a brief outline of proposed activities, funding
source, and CV.
3. Obtain approval from the Dean of College and Department Chair.
The Vice President for Academic Affairs will then issue a letter of
4. Have the visitor prepare the Faculty Data Form and other
5. Determine what privileges the visitor will have [copier access,
library, office space, etc].
6. Note: OISSA cannot provide assistance with housing for exchange
scholars. Sponsoring faculty will be responsible for finding
accommodations for the visitors they invite.
7. OISSA will issue a form DS2019 and provide guidance in applying
for a "J1" visa.
Documents for Visiting Scholars
Exchange Visitors with J-1 visas are required to carry health insurance that meets the standards set out by the US State Department. Most standard student travel insurance packages meet these requirements. Insurance may be purchased overseas or within 30 days of entry to the United States. Please see Insurance Requirements