Changes Saved.
Error Occurred!

What do I need to do to activate my GI Bill benefits?

If this is the first time you are ever activating your benefits, you must fill out a VA Form 22-1990 and hand in either a DD214 (separation papers) or a Form DD2384 (Notice of Basic Eligibility/NOBE) from your reserve unit.


If you are transferring your benefits from another institution, you need to complete VA Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training).  You should also provide a copy of your DD214 or NOBE. 


Dependents of Veterans should fill out VA Form 22-5490 for initial applications, and 22-5495 for transfers from other institutions. 


Veterans filing under Ch. 33 who are transfer students must also provide a copy of their entitlement letter. 

Related Articles