By Sobhi Abdel Sayed
1. Although it happened a long time ago, I still remember it as if it
was yesterday. I was twenty-two years old and I had just come to the United
2. I was working in a grocery store in Hoboken. One evening at around
six o'clock, a nice girl walked in the store to buy some gum. She said,
"hello" and so did I. As the days went by, we became friends. She would
go to the store to keep me company. We got along great. We would talk about
just anything and everything. We could speak for hours without getting
3. One day I decided to invite her to the movies, and she agreed to
go. We saw a funny movie at Newport mall. After the movie, I
I was just happy to find a friend like her. There wasn't a day that
I didn't want to see her or talk to her. We decided to go out for pizza
after the movie.
4. At the pizza place we spoke about the movie, but during the conversation,
I was only thinking about how beautiful her smile was. After we had finished
eating, I walkedher up to her front door. Then we just stared at each other
for a while. I felt strange and funny. This was the first time we didn't
say a word to each other. She got very close to me and kissed me on the
lips. It was the first time I had ever received a kiss from a girl. I felt
different, I felt something funny in my stomach that I can't explain. I
didn't know if I liked it or not. It was a feeling I never felt before.
After this experience, our relationship got closer than just friends. At
this point I didn't want to talk when I saw her, but kiss her.
5. It has been seven years since this experience. We are still together,
even though at times she gets on my nerves; I still think about the first
time she kissed me and I forget everything.
1.Underline one or two parts of the story which show strong feelings.
2. Write one or two questions about the story which can be answered
by yes or no. For example, Was this a case of love at first sight?
3. Which of the following best reflects your feelings about this story
a. I enjoyed it and wanted to read more.
b. I liked it, but I felt it was too personal.
c. I didn’t like it. It made me feel uncomfortable.